In this tutorial, I’m going to show you how you can host your own Odoo System at your home / office using a PC using a free Dynamic DNS from afraid.org. You can use this for production because I’m also going to show you how to secure your installation with firewall and SSL. Keep reading!
These are the things that you need:
1) The PC (where you need to turn it on 24 hours). My specifications are:
- i5 processor
- 1TB Internal HDD
- You don’t need external graphic card for a server.
- An Ethernet port (the built-in motherboard have this)
- A DVD ROM for server installation from a DVD disk
2) The Router (To use Dynamic DNS, your router need to support DDNS – most router have this functionality). My router is Maritime TM.. In my case, I’m using a free DDNS from afraid.org. Most router that are customized with DD WRT have built in DDNS service function from afraid.org. Note that if you have premium account for this DDNS service, your setup going to be faster because domain propagation time would be faster with a premium account. But free account is sufficient if you don’t care about the propagation. Read more about domain propagation
3) You need RJ45 connection between your router and PC
4) You need an Ubuntu Disk where you can download from ubuntu.com and burn it on the DVD using a software like imgburn. The Ubuntu version that I’m going to use for this tutorial is 16.04 LTS.
5) You are ready for the next step!
Step 2 Installing Ubuntu 16.04 on your PC.
- Make sure that your PC has RJ45 (LAN) wire connected so that the installation can help you update the OS when you are connected to the internet.
- Boot Your PC into Ubuntu 16.04 DVD
- Install Ubuntu
To be continued . . .